[mrtg] Re: perl script cannot be executed by MRTG

Derek Winkler dwinkler at algorithmics.com
Wed Aug 6 15:57:34 MEST 2003

What happens when you do
prog-to-run ARG1 ARG2 ARG3

Does /usr/bin/perl actually exist?

Is it executable?

-----Original Message-----
From: xzhao2 [mailto:xzhao2 at dal.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 9:49 AM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] perl script cannot be executed by MRTG

I am using threshold function in MRTG (RedHat8.0).
My mrtg.cfg goes like this:

ThreshMaxO[_]: 90%
ThreshMinO[_]: 20%
ThreshProgO[_]: /var/www/html/mrtg/threshprogi/prog-to-run

My prog-to-run is a text file starting with: #!/usr/bin/perl...

No problem with the perl script, because when I type the following line in
shell command prompt:

perl prog-to-run ARG1 ARG2 ARG3

It works very fine. But when I run MRTG against mrtg.cfg, it says the
threshold program cannot be executed. I guess MRTG doesn't consider my
prog-to-run as an executable program, and even doesn't know it's a perl or a

shell script. Something should be done with the text file.

Any help appreciated. Simon