[mrtg] WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

Charles Von Dartmooth charlesvondartmooth at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 06:13:44 MEST 2003

Hello,

I've recently upgraded from MRTG 2.8.8 to MRTG 2.9.17
and am experiencing an error while trying to recieve
information for cisco cluster members. I am using the
syntax of:
Target[name]: 6:communitystr\@es4 at ip.of.commander.

The error:SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "ip" [ip].161)
                  community: "communitystr\\@es4"
                 request ID: 669318396
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm
line 450
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.6 ifOutOctets.6
sysUptime sysName on communitystr\\@es4 at ip
 at bin/mrtg line 1491
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

I can access the same OID using snmpget manually, and
I had no trouble with it prior to the upgrade. Thank
you for any help.