[mrtg] Re: trying to understand.

Wolfgang Wagner wolfgang.wagner at riwa-gis.de
Tue Aug 26 19:10:42 MEST 2003

Hello,

> From: Jónatan [mailto:natti at routing.is]
>
> Hi...
> Im trying to understand weather to use gauge, absolute or neither.
> Ive seen the description in the command reference, but im not
> sure weather im getting it right.
>
> Im using an external program that reads the value from a file (cat).
> At midnight the values start at zero, then slowly goes up
> (never resetted)
> until at midnight the value goes back to zero.
> (So, for example, at midnight, I have 0, at 8am I have 1200,
> at 8pm i have
> 5300 and at 11:59pm i have 9000, and goes on like this)
>
> Which options should I use? gauge, absolute or just skip the options.
> If I use gauge, it shows at 12:00(noon) for the 5 minute interval that
> current: 1200.
> But the reality is that I've got 1200 from midnight, but last
> 5 minutes
> only 30.
> How can I make my graph show this?

I am not sure, that I understood your question.
What do you want get displayed? Only the difference from one reading to
the next or the absolute value of the reading?

For the difference: use no option, this is the default behaviour
For the absolute value: use "Options[xxx]: gauge" in the config for this
                        graph.

It would be easier to answer, if you post the few interesting lines of your
mrtg.cfg here. Then we all here can read, what you did.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Wolfgang Wagner
--
Systemadministration
Riwa GmbH, Zwingerstraße 1, 87435 Kempten, +49-831-52 29 63-537
eMail:    wolfgang.wagner at riwa-gis.de