[mrtg] MRTG/RRDTOOL performance hit

M.D. DeWar mark at s-wit.net
Tue Dec 2 16:11:43 MET 2003

Hello,
I have mrtg and rrdtool and mrtg-rrdtool frontend  running on a FreeBSD box
(4.8).
(these were installed about 2 weeks ago.)
The box has 256Megs of ram. P-266 (I think, if not its a AMD 450).
I have 15 cfg files.
In crontab I have a listing for each cfg file to run every 5 minutes.
*/5 * * * *  user /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /temp/mrtg/1.cfg

/2.cfg
etc

now the box takes along time to respond to me over ssh. Even doing a
directory change sputters and lags.
Also when I go to the mrtg-rrdtool cgi it takes a long time to make the
pages/graphs.
http://spiderman.wirelesscommunitynetworks.com/monitors
I have the graphs split into groups to make smaller pages/graphs.

Is there any way to improve mrtg/rrdtool performance ? What memory/cpu is
really needed to do this kind of monitoring ?
Thanks
Mark