[mrtg] Re: MRTG/RRDTOOL performance hit

Corey Smith csmith at bonddesk.com
Tue Dec 2 17:19:56 MET 2003

What is probably happening is that you are temporarily bringing the load
average of the box to 15 as the 15 jobs kick off simultaneously.  Any
single processor box with a load average of 15 is going to be sluggish
:)

One thing you may want to do is spread your cron jobs over different
time intervals.

IE:

1,6,11,16,21, ...  4 jobs
2,7,12,17,22, ...  4 jobs
3,8,13,18,23, ...  4 jobs
etc...

- or -

Make a master config that includes the other 15 configs and run it with
the fork option as documented in:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html#forks_(unix_only)

IE:

Forks: 4

This means you would be at a load average of about 4.0 until the polling
interval is complete.

----

If your cron jobs are taking more than a minute to complete you may want
to consider using a faster processor.  If you see swap utilization
in swapinfo/top you should get more RAM.  Disk is 1000x slower than ram
:)

I'm using 2 - 400 mhz processors and 1GB of ram to monitor 800+ targets
and the box is still very responsive.  No noticeable processing time for
viewing graphs using mrtgrrd & rrdcgi.

Corey Smith