[mrtg] Horrendous CPU usage on cgi scripts to generate graphs from RRD files

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Wed Dec 10 23:34:07 MET 2003

OK, I finally got MRTG graphing using RRDTool.

I'm monitoring 1300+ devices.

I've so far tried mrtg-rrd.cgi and 14all.cgi - both of them take a dual 2.4ghz xeon box to 99% cpu usage when you try to view one routers graphs.

Not sure why they would do this, as I'm not trying to view all graphs simultaeneously, but they do. Does anyone have any kind of experience with this, and if so, how did you get around it?