[mrtg] Re: Sun Performance Question

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Tue Dec 16 22:53:47 MET 2003

Hi Edward,

I'm not suprised at the result, and I've seen similar.  I ran a single CPU
Dell system a few years ago that beat the pants off a dual E250 running
MRTG.  I'm not sure if it's something with Solaris, or if the MRTG/Perl
combination leverages the x86 platform better, but yeah, I'm not suprised.

MHz per MHz, Ultrasparc IIs are generally faster than their Intel PIII
counterparts, but the difference isn't that great (depending on FP or
Integer operations).  The speed difference probably more than made up for
effeciency.

There also might be a configuration issue with the E250.  You might want
to run some throughput tests, to see if writing to the drives is
significantly slower on your Sun system.  A "time dd if=/dev/zero
of=/filesystem/testfile bs=1024 count=100000" or similar would give you a
quick and dirty check of the write speed.

Also, make sure there's not some runaway process.

Given the cost differences in CPU power, x86 hardware I think is generally
the ideal platform for MRTG.  There generally are not any platform
advantages for running on other platforms for MRTG, when there are for
other apps. That could be open to much debate, however.

Hope that helps,

Tony

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Edward M. Bacon wrote:

> Ok all you Solaris guys, I'm trying to compare my Compaq dual 800 Intel
> box running Redhat9 to the Sun Enterprise 220R/420R, dual 450's with
> Solaris9.  Both have 2Gb RAM running MRTG 2.9.17 polling 164 Cisco
> devices.  The Redhat box is able to complete its poll in the 5 minute
> window.... the Solaris box can't seem to get it done within 10 minutes.
> We all here expected the Solaris box to beat out the Intel but that's
> not what we are seeing.
>
> This test was in hopes of consolidating our THREE Intel boxes to this
> one Sparc. What type of Sun Sparc hardware should be required to run
> MRTG polling 400 devices??
>
> Thanks for your replies!
> Edward Bacon
> University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center
> --

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan dot net