[mrtg] Re: One CFG for many servers...

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 17:44:09 MET 2003

>I've been using MRTG for some time now and I was wondering if there is a
>way
>to use fewer cfg files then one for each server.
>
>I've got to make some changes and we have well over 110 Windows 2000 or
>2003
>servers being monitored with a cfg for each. You can imagine how I am not
>looking forward to having to modify all of these. I made an ASP page that
>works in conjunction with a few scripts to create the server cfg's from a
>template cfg. So creating them in the 1st place wasn't bad.
>

>Thanks!

You can specify multiple targets in a single config file. I have 1300+ routers in a single configuration file.

However, if you're using a .cgi script to generate the graphs, be warned, without modification it will consume a huge amount of CPU time to generate the graphs.

Using mrtg-rrd and my 1300+ config consumed 80%+ of two 2.4ghz Xeons
Using mrtg-rrd and my 1300+ config plus fastcgi consumes about 5% of a single cpu

Just forewarning. Steve said that if you use routers2.cgi, using separate configs is the best process, although I believe the latest version can use speedycgi (someone care to confirm this?) Might be good if you're also using Smokeping, since that requires speedycgi.