[mrtg] Re: upgrading from 2.9.17-8 to 2.9.25.1.7.2

JAMIE CRAWFORD crawford at cmsu1.cmsu.edu
Wed Feb 5 05:22:38 MET 2003

Hello,
ARGH!!! I cant get this to $%#$*# to work!!! I've tried your way and
I've tried the way documented in the unixguide.txt under the mrtgbeta
source.  This is my result. It seems like gd is the problem.  Any
clues???
I'm using gd-2.0.11.tar.gz, libpng-1.2.5.tar.gz, zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz, and
mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz and redhat8.0

thanks for your help!!,
jamie

         ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2       \
>                     --with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd      \
>                     --with-z=/usr/local/src/zlib     \
>                     --with-png=/usr/local/src/libpng
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for groff... /usr/bin/groff
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for unsigned long long... yes
checking for long long... yes
checking for strtoll... yes
checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
checking for acos in -lm... yes
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... yes
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** The GD library is required for rateup to compile.
   Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
   use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
   its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc, --with-z-lib
   and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd versions 1.6 and higher.
   Check config.log for more information on the problem. If your
system
   has libgd installed, you probably mis the gd.h header file.

   Consider following the instructions in doc/unix-guide.txt

AND THE MRTG /ETC/MRTG/MRTG.CFG RESULTS:

[root at predator home]# mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Invalid filter type specified
gd-png error: setjmp returns error condition
gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Invalid filter type specified
gd-png error: setjmp returns error condition
gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Invalid filter type specified
gd-png error: setjmp returns error condition
[root at predator home]#

>>> "Grover, Ross" <RGrover at oldrepnatl.com> 02/03/03 09:05AM >>>
REPOST:
-------
Jamie, I had this same problem. It seems the RPM won't work with RedHat
8.0
without a little help. I was able to find a solution however:

(The following is reposted from an earlier thread entitled "[mrtg] Re:
MRTG
running, but no PNG graphs (THE FIX)"
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

I've received many e-mails from people with this same issue, looking
for a
fix. I now have MRTG working on my Linux 8.0 box, and will post a
(hopefully) thorough explanation as to how I did it. Sorry if this gets
bit wordy:

The Issue:
------------
Installing mrtg-2.9.25-1.7.2.i386.rpm on a fresh install of RedHat
8.0,
running MRTG results in the error:

gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Invalid filter type specified gd-png
error:
setjmp returns error condition

This error repeats itself a few times

The Problem:
------------
I sent an e-mail to Henri Gomez (the mrtg.org web page lists him as the
RPM
guy). He responded with:

---------------------
"You should grab the rpm source and rebuild it on your RH 8.0,
libpng/libgd
are differents accroos RH release"
---------------------

I really wanted to find a solution that would make the RPM work, but
it
appears there is none. However, a total install from source is not
necessary. It appears the problem lies mostly with the MRTG and GD
programs.

The Fix:
--------
If you want to stick with RPMs, Adam P. [alp at pobox.com] says:

---------------------
"I am not on the list but I did just solve this problem...

I had installed mrtg-2.9.25-1.7.2.i386.rpm and was getting all the
errors
you guys listed.  I did the LANG='en_US' thing and ended up with just a
few
png related errors.

I rolled back to mrtg-2.9.17-8.i386.rpm and it is now running like a
champ."
---------------------

This is probably the best thing to do if you want to stick with RPMs.
Unfortunately; I needed to run the latest and greatest version of MRTG.
So
here's what I did:

I installed the newest iteration of GD from source: gd-2.0.9.tar.gz
then the
newest iteration of MRTG from source (I went to the bleeding edge with
beta, but I would assume this would work with the general deployment
as
well): mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz

That's it. After this, it was smooth sailing with tha pretty graphs and
all.
I'll recite the actual commands I used - beware you may want to
install
yours into a different directory than I used etc:

Commands:
---------

Download GD:
http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/
gd-2.0.9.tar.gz

Put this file in a temp directory of your choice, then:

gunzip gd-2.0.9.tar.gz
tar -xvf gd-2.0.9.tar
cd gd-2.0.9
./configure
make
make install

You should now have a fresh new install of GD on your system. Now it's
time
to install your choice of MRTG releases. Again, I went the beta route
since
this is a test box:

Download MRTG: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/
(I went to http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/beta/
and got
the mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz release)

Put this file in a temp directory of your choice, then:

gunzip mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz
tar -xvf mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar
cd mrtg-2.9.27beta1

Configure this with your new GD install:

./configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib/ --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/bin/
make
make install

Now give it a try:

Run cfgmaker with the parameters of your choice. Probably located in:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker

Then run indexmaker with the parameters of your choice. Probably
located in:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/indexmaker

Then run mrtg itself:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

Remember, you can automate this process, and have cron run this every
five
minutes by editing your /etc/crontab file to include the line:

0-59/5 * * * * root /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
--logging
var/log/mrtg.log

Again, your program locations may vary, but be sure to use the mrtg and
gd
that we installed. Your RPM may have also loaded a copy in
/usr/bin/mrtg -
but if you followed the steps above, there is a newer copy in
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg. Just keep this in mind.

I hope this has helped some of y'all - let me know how it works. Sorry
if I
made this confusing.

Happy MRTGing,

--