[mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi -- graphs show larger than maximal number

Aaron Conaway Aaron.Conaway at HOSystems.com
Fri Feb 7 19:47:10 MET 2003

Thanks for the reply, Greg.

I'm looking at the daily graph for connections.  The plotted line
clearly shows around 30 connections as the max, while the legend reports
26 as the max.  Also, the current is plotted as 26, while the legend
reports it as 23.  What would cause that?

The 3k png is available upon request.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com [mailto:Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:44 AM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: 14all.cgi -- graphs show larger than maximal number

}I'm monitoring the number of connections to our VPN concentrator, using
}RRDTool and 14all.cgi to produce the graphs.  I just started doing this
}yesterday, so I don't have much data, but the maximum number on the
}graph is larger than the maximal reported in the legends. } }Is this
normal?  Did I just miss something in the docs? Am I just }stupid? }

Are you comparing the legend numbers in one graph against the
plotted data in another? If so, this is normal - MRTG averages
the peaks out in the longer term graphs. If you want to keep
the peaks in the long term graphs, use the WithPeak directive
and specify which graphs like:

WithPeak[conns]: wmy

or you can use 'WithPeak[_]: wmy" and that will apply the the directive
to every target thereafter in the config.

}Target[conns]:.1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.25.1.3.0&.1.3.6.1.4.1.307
}6.2.1.2.2
}5.1.3.0:community at host:::::2
}MaxBytes[conns]: 100
}Title[conns]: Number of VPN Connections
}PageTop[conns]: <H1>Number of VPN Connections</H1>
}Options[conns]: gauge,growright,nopercent,noo
}YLegend[conns]: Num of Conns
}ShortLegend[conns]: Num Conns
}LegendI[conns]: Number of VPN Connections
}legend1[conns]: Number of VPN Connections

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 1k (1974 bytes)