[mrtg] Re: Graphing Broadcast packets

Jason Humes jhumes at acs.on.ca
Fri Feb 7 20:23:34 MET 2003

I may be wrong, but I thought that the ifInNUcastPkts and ifOutNUcastPkts
were deprecated.

}I was wondering if
}anyone knows
}of how to graph broadcast packets on a Cisco 6509?  All of the
}interfaces

You'll want to poll the
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInNUcastPkts.<interfacenumber>
and interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutNUcastPkts.<interfacenumber>

NU is for NON-UNICAST, so you'll get broadcast and multicast packets.

You can download the following template:
http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/interface-genericsnmp.template
<http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/interface-genericsnmp.template>
and use it with cfgmaker to generate MRTG configs for typical snmp interface
based variables, one of which is NU packets in/out.

}are GigE...I'm not too sure if the super speed would have any
}impact on the
}counters (use 64 or 32 bit counters ???).  Thanks very much.
}

As a general rule when I build in/out octets configs for my 6500 switches, I
always use 64 bit counters. It's not necessary on 10/100 ports, but is an
issue on gig-e ports that sustain more than about 10% utilization. At five
minute poll intervals,
you'll run into accuracy problems with 32 bit counters past
a sustainted rate of 114mbits/sec.

Jason D. Humes

Applied Computer Solutions
3020 St. Etienne Blvd.