[mrtg] Re: Sun Solaris Disk Space Monitoring

Don Harvie donharvie at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 12 04:12:33 MET 2003

Anthony Lai wrote:
> Don,
>    Thanks for the help. I tried this but it did not work on a Solaris 8 box...I tried snmpget to query the box with the OID you specified....however I get the following:
> C:\SNMP\bin>snmpget -M c:\snmp\mibs -m UCD-SNMP-MIB nss10n01 public .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.9.1
> Error in packet
> Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
> Failed object: enterprises.ucdavis.dskTable.dskEntry
> Does anyone know why I get this error???

Several possibilities:

1) You're not running the UCD/NET-SNMPD on the solaris box. (And of
course the enterprises.ucd-snmp subtree doesn't exist).

2) IIRC the default security settings in snmpd.conf are fairly
restrictive (They only allow public access to the system subtree)
Check this by snmpwalk(ing) from .1

An example snmpd.conf: (Access control) This is pretty open - I would
recommend you tighten things more than show here if this is your problem
lies, it should be enough to check things are operational though.

####
# First, map the community name "public" into a "security name"
#       sec.name  source          community
com2sec notConfigUser  default       <CommStr>
####
# Second, map the security name into a group name:
#       groupName      securityModel securityName
group   notConfigGroup v1           notConfigUser
group   notConfigGroup v2c           notConfigUser
####
# Third, create a view for us to let the group have rights to:
#       name           incl/excl     subtree         mask(optional)
view   systemview     included      .1
####
# Finally, grant the group read-only access to the systemview view.
# group          context sec.model sec.level prefix read   write  notif
access notConfigGroup "" any noauth exact systemview none none

and
3) You gotta tell snmpd you want to monitor disk space, Again from
snmpd.conf:

# disk checks
#
# The agent can check the amount of available disk space, and make
# sure it is above a set limit.
# disk PATH [MIN=100000]
#
# PATH:mount path to the disk in question.
# MIN: Disks with space below this value will have the Mib's errorFlag
#      set.
#        Default value = 100000.
# Check the / partition and make sure it contains at least 10 megs.

disk / 250000
disk /usr
disk /var
disk /data