[mrtg] Re: Firewal rule for MRTG

Don Harvie donharvie at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 17 04:12:14 MET 2003

AS, Raj Kumar wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> If I want to monitor a router behind the firewall, what are all the services
> do I have to enable.
> Just SNMP will do??  Do I have to enable any specific ports??

Just SNMP will usually do. (UDP port 161).

Typically you would allow UDP 161 as a destination port. Source ports
will be greater than 1024. Only allow SNMP in the direction required. I
assume you'll be monitoring a router connecting to an untrusted network.
so be careful as to what you allow back in.

If in doubt don't allow anything at first,  try cfgmaker / mrtg against
the router and watch to see the drops in your f/w logs. Create the
firewall rules only to pass  the snmp traffic that you see being dropped
between your mrtg host & the router.

Make sure you router has strong community strings (not public / private)
and preferrably Read-Only access that is restricted to the mrtg host IP
address with local access lists as well (This is especially the case if
your router is connected to the internet).

--
Thanks,
Don Harvie				  Ph +61 2 9882 5963