[mrtg] Re: monitoring total throughput on HP switch

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Fri Feb 28 13:03:28 MET 2003

}
}Hi all,
}
}I'm using some HP 4108 and 2524 switches.
}Unfortunately there's no OID to monitor the total throughput
}on the switches
}backplane.
}A workaround to monitor the total data is to calculate the sum
}of all ports
}on a switch.
}I've made a script on a linux box to do this, but here comes
}the point....
}`expr` is going over its limits and returns a "negative" value.
}Is there another way to calculate the sum of all ports or is
}this easier
}done with rrdtool (and how) ?
}

I know that HP rebranded some cisco switches, so if this switch
is based on a cisco 29xx-XL there is a total bandwidth utilization
OID. You can get a template for it from
http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/host-xl-bandwidth.template
if you want to try it out.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef