[mrtg] Re: monitoring Windows NT/2000 servers

Marlo Montanaro mmontanaro at centennialcorp.com
Fri Jan 3 22:27:26 MET 2003

As long as BB is running continuously (which is why you put it on
Unix/Linux) it will report how long it has found the server up (which will
not necessarily match the actual uptime of the server, unless you reboot it
while BB is up).  You can also configure it to turn Red when a particular
server reaches a specified amount of time that it has responded to pings-
basically saying "time to reboot."

The other nice thing about BB is that it can test various other services- to
me, the fact that the services are up and running is what is important- not
Windows itself.  Proof in point- yesterday my WINS service died on our older
NT box (something we don't test with BB, unfortunately) which took out many
services on our network- but Windows was still ping-able.  Yes- I'm working
on a way to get BB to monitor WINS now...  there are plenty of 3rd party
scripts available.

But you get the point.

And of course the two other best parts of BB are 1- it's free, and 2- it'll
page you when it finds a problem with a server- something I don't believe
MRTG can do, at least not as easily.

You've already got MRTG running on Red Hat, simple matter to add BB to the
same box.  I have both running on a P-II with 128 MB of RAM on Solaris 8 for
Intel.  The BB/MRTG box runs for months at a time without a hiccup.  I think
the two together provide an excellent picture of network availability and
bandwidth availability/usage.  They also let you respond proactively instead
of reactively.  Put them on an older computer that maybe you had no use for
anymore (i.e., Windows XP is a slow dog on it, but Linux runs great!) and
you'll look great to your boss... leverage older equipment with no
expenditure of funds and get a system that lets you know about all kinds of
problems on your network.  Good job.

Good luck!
MM