[mrtg] Re: mrtg installation

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Sun Jan 5 21:33:47 MET 2003

Jon Miller said:

> Is mrtg designed to monitor traffic on devices such as routers
> (hardware) and switches only?  Does it check the logs off of gateways
> servers? I ask because before we invested in routers a consultant had the
> program running on our old system which was a Linux gateway server and a
> modem attached.

it's designed to take 2 numbers as input and log them, and graph them.
the numbers can come from anywhere, mrtg doesn't care. MRTG has built in
support SNMP though which makes it easiest to integrate with routers, switches
and other network equipment.

it won't analyze logs.

you can see a sample of what can be collected on my mrtg howto site:

http://howto.aphroland.de/HOWTO/MRTG

nate