[mrtg] Re: Powerconnect Switches

Robert Walters Robert.Walters at LodgeWorks.com
Thu Jan 16 15:23:41 MET 2003

Here are a couple of my configs from my Dells.  I have quite a few of them
being monitored.  I also had problems using configmaker.  My problem was not
generating good configuration files.  I manually adjusted them as need to
make them work.  I also included the Dell MIBs since Dell does not make them
available on their web site.  At least they didn't the last time I needed
them.
I do know that the IP address of the machine requesting the SNMP information
needs to be entered in the switch.  Not having that can cause it to behave
strongly.

There is a config from a 3024 and a 3048 plus the MIBS bellow.

Hope this helps.

RPW

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin [mailto:danm at prime.gushi.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 8:34 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Powerconnect Switches

I'm having a problem that I think a lot of other people have had with the
dell powerconnect 3024 switches.  I'm only able to pull stats from these
switches on average one time in ten, or use cfgmaker on them one time in
ten.

I am able to consistently grab information from these switches with getif.

Are there any diagnostics anyone can suggest I try?

It doesn't help that the google search for "powerconnect" on the list
search page returns the right headers, but links to the wrong messages.

by the way, yes, that's the device's real ip, but it has a host table,
which I have configured correctly.  If anyone wants to try testing
anything, let me know and I'll add you.

SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "sw02" [65.125.237.11].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: -97359630
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 50
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/SNMP_util.pm line 458
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.3 ifOutOctets.3 sysUptime sysName on
public at sw02:
 at /usr/local/bin/mrtg line 1614
WARNING: skipping because at least the query for ifInOctets.3 on  sw02 did
not succeed

--

"It would be bad."

-Egon Spengler, "Ghostbusters"