[mrtg] Re: Powerconnect Switches

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Fri Jan 17 02:25:55 MET 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Robert Walters wrote:

> Here are a couple of my configs from my Dells.  I have quite a few of them
> being monitored.  I also had problems using configmaker.  My problem was not
> generating good configuration files.  I manually adjusted them as need to
> make them work.  I also included the Dell MIBs since Dell does not make them
> available on their web site.  At least they didn't the last time I needed
> them.
> I do know that the IP address of the machine requesting the SNMP information
> needs to be entered in the switch.  Not having that can cause it to behave
> strongly.
>
> There is a config from a 3024 and a 3048 plus the MIBS bellow.

Didn't seem to help, still go "no response" at least half the time.

I think MRTG's SNMP implementation isn't quite perfect, since SNMPget and
getif can both pull stats EVERY time, although it wouldn't surprise me if
there was something screwy with the dell, either.

Also, there's something about "Host Authorization"

>From the Manual CD:

>From the SNMP Host Table page, you can add and remove hosts from access
rights that have been granted to community groups. The permissions GET,
SET, and TRAP are assigned to a community name and then these permissions
are assigned to individual machines by adding those machines and their IP
address to the appropriate community string. Host authorization can be
enabled or disabled.

You must enable host authorization before you can use the host table. Host
authorization is a security feature to limit people who are not listed in
the host table from accessing the switch.

Once you have enabled host authorization, you must add the host to this
table through the console port connection. Otherwise, the switch cannot
access the end station using SNMP.

BUT NOWHERE DOES IT TELL YOU HOW TO ENABLE HOST AUTHORIZATION.

Argh

-Dan Mahoney

> Hope this helps.
>
> RPW

"Blargy Frap!"

-mtreal, efnet #macintosh channel, 8.10.98, Approx 3AM