[mrtg] Re: Running MRTG as services

Erik Jacobsen EJacobsen at illinois.net
Fri Jan 17 21:55:23 MET 2003

Firedaemon is always a good option. See
http://www.firedaemon.com/HOWTO/MRTG/

Erik

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Valuikas [mailto:tvaluikas at cox.net]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 2:43 PM
To: GUARENO at FORDHAM.EDU; mrtg ml
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Running MRTG as services

This is the NT ResKit way. *Must have the reskit loaded.

Install MRTG to run as a Service

Look at Q137890 to install MRTG to run as a service. More or less the
below
is what it says.

Logon to the Server.
Click Start, Run and enter in CMD then click OK.
Change directory to D:\Program Files\Resource Kit>
To create a Windows NT user-defined service, perform the following
steps:

1. At the MS-DOS command prompt(running CMD.EXE), type the following
command:
D:\Program Files\Resource Kit>d:\progra~1\resour~1\instsrv.exe
MRTGService
d:\progra~1\resour~1\srvany.exe

where <path> is the drive and directory of the Windows NT Resource Kit
(i.e., C:\RESKIT) and <My Service> is the name of the service you are
creating.
You should see the conformation message below.

The service was successfully added!

Make sure that you go into the Control Panel and use
the Services applet to change the Account Name and
Password that this newly installed service will use
for its Security Context.

D:\Program Files\Resource Kit>

** NOTE:
If this is to be configured in a cluster environment then the Above
Q137890
must be run on the other Cluster Server as well.
**

2. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe)and locate the following subkey:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRTGService

3. From the Edit menu, click Add Key.

   Key Name: Parameters
   Class : <leave blank>

   Type the following and click OK:

4. Select the Parameters key.

5. From the Edit menu, click Add Value.

   Value Name: Application
   Data Type : REG_SZ
   and click OK.

>From the String Editor dialog enter in the String :
"d:\\mrtg\\bin\\mrtg1.cmd" and click OK.

   where <path>\<application.ext> is the drive and full path to the
  application executable including the extension (i.e.,
C:\WinNT\Notepad.exe)

mrtg1.cmd is a batch file:
d:\perl\bin\perl f:\mrtg\bin\mrtg f:\mrtg\bin\mrtgsrv.cfg

6. Close Registry Editor.

 Editor.

Reboot the server.

Tv