[mrtg] Re: clearing of counters on Cisco

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Fri Jan 24 17:34:43 MET 2003

}
}We have noticed that our version of MRTG (a couple years old)
}shows a huge
}spike on our Cisco interface graphs whenever a "clear
}counters" is done on
}the device.  This is becoming a big problem for us, as we have just
}implemented a new NMS which clears all counters once per day.

How is your NMS clearing the counters? When I issue a "clear counters"
from the CLI on a 6509 running 12.1(11b)E4 the snmp counters definitely
do not reset.

If the counters are indeed being reset, one way around it might be to
poll the 64 bit ifHC counters if your devices support that. Are the 64
bit counters resetting too? Even if they are, the post-reset deltas
would probably be so high that MRTG will ignore them as long as
maxbytes is correct.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 2k (2352 bytes)