[mrtg] Re: Config file

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 09:47:09 MEST 2003

>I have a very basic question. I've got mrtg up and running, it's
>monitoring some network traffic. What I'm wondering is: if I change the
>config file to add a new port or machine to monitor, will the graphs
>that I have now be deleted? Will the graphs be reset? Will I lose any
>previous monitoring information if I just stop mrtg, modify the config
>file, and then start mrtg again?

Your config file contains a number of Target Lines. Whatever is inside the
square brackets is the name of the related output files.

Every Poll of MRTG will copy the .log to .old, update the log with the
latest info, and create the html and png (graph) files.

If you change the config file, it will depend on whether you change the
name inside the square brackets.

Daily png files need to be updated every 5 mins, weekly every 30 etc, so
changes are not always immediately visible. Delete the png files, and the
next poll of MRTG will re-create them from the data stored in the log file.

Regards
Peter