[mrtg] Re: MRTG and QuickPage

Dannie M. Stanley dannie at spinweb.net
Tue Jul 8 20:46:22 MEST 2003

I am new to SNMP but I am pretty sure you could use SNMP to do this and
bypass MRTG.  If you are using Linux/Unix a quick shell script should do
the trick... here is some code that requires SNMP (command line tools)
and Perl:

   #!/usr/bin/perl

   $hostname = "myhost";
   $community = "public";
   $testWhichValue = "tcp.tcpOutSegs.0"; # Might need a diff object
   $snmpThresh = 2; # some number
   $EmailAddress = "5555551212\@mymobileprovider.net";

   $snmpGet = `snmpget $hostname $community $testWhichValue`;

   if($snmpGet =~ /^.*:\s*(\d{1,})\s*$/){
     $snmpVal = $1;
     }

   if($snmpVal >= $snmpThresh){
     `echo \"my value is being exceeded\" |mail -s Alert $EmailAddress`;
     }

   exit 0;

You may also be able to set an SNMP trap depending on your device.

Yo,
Dannie

xzhao2 wrote:

> I'm now working on integrating QuickPage into MRTG (or vice versa), meaning by
> reading the data from MRTG log file every 5 minutes and comparing with some
> thresholds, QuickPage is automatically triggered and a message is sent to a
> cellphone or pager. Anybody has any idea to do this? Thanks. Simon
>
> --

Dannie M Stanley
SpinWeb Net Designs, Inc.
http://www.spinweb.net