[mrtg] Re: MRTG and QuickPage

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Tue Jul 8 22:21:09 MEST 2003

Generally I agree with the last response in that mrtg probably is not
the tool for this job. In fact, most tools will nail you with too many
alerts for this type of data so it is not really even an issue with
mrtg. However, another tact I have used is to log the event and show the
active conditions on a web page. This way you can see current events and
search on past events. You can use mrtg thresholds and a script to do
the logging/alarming using its normal threshold function.

For this I use infraMon, with an active alarm monitor web page for mrtg
conditions (and also status alerts). Probably the whole package is a bit
much for your use but you may find the technique meets your need.
However, an infraMon implementation of ONLY the alarm monitor and a
threshold script could do the trick with little effort (you wouldn't
need most perl modules). You can read up on infraMon in the link below.
Check out the Alarm Monitor, that's all you need other than a threshold
script which creates/deletes a simple csv file.

Cheers,
Woody...
http://www.inframon.org