[mrtg] Re: Differences between mrtg.log and html view

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Jul 21 16:33:05 MEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 09:13, Bernd.Stroessenreuther at spb.de wrote:
> Hi everybody out there,
>
> I have a problem with mrtg. It happens in mrtg 2.9.17 as well as in 2.9.29:

Yes, and every other version.

[...]
> When mrtg has done it's job I look into my mrtg.log file. this shows me,
> that mrtg has got the correct values.
> Here are the first lines of mrtg.log
>
> 1058795478 68 32
> 1058795478 68 32 68 32
> 1058795178 55 41 55 41
> 1058795100 54 41 55 44
> 1058794800 55 41 65 44
>
> But when I look into the generated html-page, it tells me, that there is an
> actual usr load of 65 (in the value "incoming") and an actual sys load of
> 34 (in the "outgoing" value).
Right.
[...]
> Who can help me an tell me, what's going wrong? Why are there wrong values
> in the resulting html-page?
The values are being interpolated so that they line up on 5-minute
boundaries.  This is because you can't poll exactly in 5 minute
intervals, so it fiddles with the delta and guesses where you would have
been at the precise 5 minute boundaryy.

I believe this is one of the few items well covered in the FAQ.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy