[mrtg] Antwort: Re: Differences between mrtg.log and html view

Bernd.Stroessenreuther at spb.de Bernd.Stroessenreuther at spb.de
Mon Jul 21 16:58:07 MEST 2003

Hi Daniel,

thank You for Your fast reply.

> > I have a problem with mrtg. It happens in mrtg 2.9.17 as well as in
2.9.29:

> Yes, and every other version.
>
> [...]
> > When mrtg has done it's job I look into my mrtg.log file. this shows
me,
> > that mrtg has got the correct values.
> > Here are the first lines of mrtg.log
> >
> > 1058795478 68 32
> > 1058795478 68 32 68 32
> > 1058795178 55 41 55 41
> > 1058795100 54 41 55 44
> > 1058794800 55 41 65 44
> >
> > But when I look into the generated html-page, it tells me, that there
is an
> > actual usr load of 65 (in the value "incoming") and an actual sys load
of
> > 34 (in the "outgoing" value).
> Right.
> [...]
> > Who can help me an tell me, what's going wrong? Why are there wrong
values
> > in the resulting html-page?
> The values are being interpolated so that they line up on 5-minute
> boundaries.  This is because you can't poll exactly in 5 minute
> intervals, so it fiddles with the delta and guesses where you would have
> been at the precise 5 minute boundaryy.

This is ok, if you have a always increasing value like an interface couter,
but it's IMO not ok, if I have a per-calutlated value, that I give to mrtg.
I tell just this to mrtg by setting the option gauge.

Take my example: The CPU has had a usage (for usr-processes) of 68% over
the last 5 minutes. So even if the measurement interval is exactly 4 min 50
sec or 5 min 10 sec, the usage in the last (exact) 5 min is probably 68%.
It is probably not 65% and probably not 71%.

I just would like mrtg to graph exactly the value I hand over to it, with
no interpolation. Is this impossible?
Would it be an idea to introduce an other option - lets say
"nointerpolation" or so - that tells mrtg to do no interpolation? I think
there must be a lot of other people who would like to graph e. g. their CPU
or other pre-calculated values.

Freundliche Grüße
i. A. Bernd Strößenreuther

Sparda-Datenverarbeitung eG