[mrtg] Re: Starting MRTG - There has to be a better way...

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Fri Jul 25 16:17:09 MEST 2003

Hi Eric,

I would agree with a previous note for the use of "Include" in a master
config file and the potential use of fork. Today I have a script which
builds each device config and then produces the master config
(w/Include's) to apply cron jobs to. The number of master config files
is a settable variable so I could easily have many different master
configs I can spread over the 5 minutes. However my technique predates
the fork option, so you may be better off with a single master include
config and fork.

And from an admin point of view it is good to keep separation of configs
for each device as you are doing today (but use master Include config
files). That way you can update individual device configs if you require
without rebuilding the whole config environment.

Cheers,
Woody...
http://www.inframon.org (infraMon - Network Infrastructure Monitor)