[mrtg] Re: How to make a MRTG call to a community with a password??

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Jul 31 13:01:31 MEST 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Luquin, Andres wrote:

> 	Hi everybody !!!!
>
> 	I want to monitor a router and I just know a read password community
> string. With others, we use the public community string and I usually call
> MRTG like this:
>
> 	perl cfgmaker --ifdesc=name --no-down --show-op-down
> public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --output file.cfg
>
> 	How can I manage to make the call but using a password I've been
> given?? Is just a different option in the command call for MRTG?? Thanks a
> lot in advance, every hint or help will be really useful.

Change the string "public" in the example above to whatever password
you have been given.

"public" is nothing more than the default string/password.  By the way,
if you have SNMP devices connected to the Internet or otherwise able
to be reached by other than trusted individuals, you should either change
the default strings or filter access to the devices with access lists,
or both.  Anyone can gather quite a bit of information about your network
with the "public" string, and make changes that can render your network
unusable or do other nasties with the "private" string.  If you leave
these at the default values, you will sooner or later regret doing so.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/