[mrtg] Re: Problem with MRTG on Redhat 8.0

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Jul 31 21:34:56 MEST 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Matt M wrote:

> Hello I am new to the list and I just wanted to say hi AND ask for some help
> on an issue I have encountered.
>

> Ok:
>
> Normally I run MRTG/RRDTOOL on a Windows2000 machine and I have absolutely
> NO complaints what so ever.. BUT, my only problem is that I want to

My condolences to you. :-)

> calculate total throughput using the RRD. Now, if I was an awesome hacker I
> could write a program do this, but sadly ;-) I am not.. SO, I have found
> some very nice tools that will do this BUT, you guessed it-- they only run
> on Linux/Unix. So, I broke out my old Linux skills and built a Redhat 8.0
> box and I have compiled and installed MRTG. -Copied my windows mrtg.cfg file
> over (with some minor changed of course) and tried to run it.
>
> This is what I get:

> ERROR: Mrtg will most likely not work properly when the environment
>        variable LANG is set to UTE-8. Please run mart in an environment
>        where this is not the case:
>
>        env LANG=C /usr/local/src/mrtg/bin/mrtg ...

The answer is above!!

> Also, I did run cfgmaker and created a new config just to see if the old
> config was to cluttered with windoz garbage but I get the same result.
>
> ANYWAY, any help would be greatly appreciated..

Set LANG=en_us or en or C and it should work. The above error is telling you
what it thinks is wrong. RHL8.0 by default sets LANG=en_us.utf_8 or something
like that. This assumes you set it to English to begin with. If you set it to
something other than English then suggest using LANG=C.

Do an echo $LANG at the command line to see what it is set to.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl at rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123 at rogueind.com