[mrtg] Re: Clustering MRTG Servers

Pete Templin pete.templin at texlink.com
Fri Jun 6 02:56:37 MEST 2003

Add something like this to /etc/services on each server:

# Local services

smtp-stats      7256/tcp                        #smtp-stats
df-stats        7258/tcp                        #df-stats
pop-stats       7260/tcp                        #pop-stats
mailq-stats     7261/tcp                        #mailq-stats
uptime-stats    7262/tcp                        #uptime-stats
user-stats      7263/tcp                        #user-stats
isdn-stats      7264/tcp                        #isdn-stats
modem-stats     7265/tcp                        #modem-stats

Add something like this to /etc/inetd.conf or equivalent on each server:

#:MRTG: See http://demo-stats.mountain.net for more info
smtp-stats      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/smtp-stats
df-stats        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/df df-stats
pop-stats       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/pop-stats
mailq-stats     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/mailq-stats
uptime-stats    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/uptime-stats
user-stats      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/user-stats
isdn-stats      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/isdn-stats
modem-stats     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/scripts/modem-stats

Build those scripts to suit your own environment.  Here's the "smtp-stats" script, for example:

tcsh> cat /usr/local/scripts/smtp-stats
#!/bin/sh
# smtp-stats:  exec Solaris mailstats
#
if [ -x "/usr/sbin/mailstats" ]
then
exec /usr/sbin/mailstats -f/var/log/sendmail.st
fi

This allows you to monitor anything for which you can create a script that outputs the number to be monitored.  It's also a great way to translate SNMP objects that report as text into numbers, if that's something anyone is looking for.

Pete Templin
IP Network Engineer
Tex-Link Communications
pete.templin at texlink.com