[mrtg] newby: using mrtg with an external rrd

Robert Queck Robert.Queck at gmx.net
Fri Jun 13 15:49:01 MEST 2003

Hi together!

I am quite a newby with mrtg and rrd and I am trying to evaluate the
opportunities given by these tools.

My problem right now ist that I try to visualize an already built-up rrd
database with the mrtg-rrd cgi-script, so to speak to use mrtg only as
the frontend first.

since the cgi script is returning an error like:

Error: RRDs::graph failed, the RRD does not contain an RRA matching the
chosen CF

I think that either mrtg has a strict standard for these archives or I
did not describe them in the config-file properly (which would not be
surprising since I have not found a way to do this).

Questions:   Has anyone of you done something similar?

                       Is it possible to describe the RRAs of an rrd
file explicitly in the mrtg config file?
                       (probalby indirectly, e.g. target descriptions
that make the cgi-script accepting an proprietary rrd)

Hope this is not too far of the edge. If there is already a description
of this problem, please give me a reference since I read all tutorials I
found.

Many Thx in advance,
Robert Queck