[mrtg] Re: newby: using mrtg with an external rrd

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Jun 14 00:38:39 MEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 03:49:01PM +0200, Robert Queck wrote:

> My problem right now ist that I try to visualize an already built-up rrd
> database with the mrtg-rrd cgi-script, so to speak to use mrtg only as
> the frontend first.

Not MRTG.  MRTG only retrieves the data from the device.  RRDtool will
process the data, the cgi script will present it to you.

> since the cgi script is returning an error like:
>
> Error: RRDs::graph failed, the RRD does not contain an RRA matching the
> chosen CF

Use "rrdtool info" to get the information from the RRD.

MRTG expects AVERAGE data and MAX data.  These are the RRAs in your RRD.

Also, MRTG expects the data source names "ds0" and "ds1".

I'm not sure but I think it is possible that the error does in this
case tries to tell you it couldn't find the datasource (as it couldn't
find ds0->AVERAGE).

If the datasources are the problem and if they are otherwise compatible,
you can rename them (rrdtool tune).

HTH
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit