[mrtg] Rateup ERROR: -----> log file was corrupt

Marcelo Vivan Borro marcelo at edraaeronautica.com.br
Mon Jun 23 23:29:47 MEST 2003

I'm running  mrtg-2.9.17 on a Conectiva 8.0

I'm using it to monitor the traffic on eth0 and eth1 on this server.

Everything was working fine, but last week I was rearranging the
/var/www/ directory and decided to change the mrtg output files
directory.  So I was editing the mrtg.conf file, but I forgot to stop
the cron job, and cron started a mrtg job while I was editing the conf
file.

Well, the problem is that now I always receive this message, even with
the original mrtg.conf file:

Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth0's log file was corrupt
           or not in sorted order:
time: 1073786240.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the
primary log file for eth0
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth0's log file was corrupt
           or not in sorted order:
time: 1056401563.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for
eth0 was invalid as well
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
  with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'eth0'
  Signal was 0, Returncode was 1
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth1's log file was corrupt
           or not in sorted order:
time: 1073786240.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the
primary log file for eth1
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth1's log file was corrupt
           or not in sorted order:
time: 1056401564.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for
eth01 was invalid as well
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
  with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'eth1'

  Signal was 0, Returncode was 1

I've looked for answers on this list archive and on google.  Only found
descriptions of similar problens, but no solutions.  Tryed to reinstall
mrtg,  looked for lock files (what are the mrtg lockfiles?),  checked
for permissions on files and directories, etc.

Does anyone knows what to do to solve this?

TIA

Marcelo