[mrtg] Re: Rateup ERROR: -----> log file was corrupt

Marcelo Vivan Borro marcelo at edraaeronautica.com.br
Tue Jun 24 15:30:25 MEST 2003

matt at petach.org escreveu:

>Yep.  stop cron to prevent anything else from trying
>to write to the file; then edit the log file, and
>search for the line starting with 1073786240
>and make sure it has exactly 5 number fields on it;
>chances are you'll find that the line has the wrong
>number of fields on it.  Once you correct that line
>and save the file, you can restart the cron entry
>for it, and you should find things work smoothly
>again.

Matt, I did it and it didn't work.  I'm still receiving the same message.

After following your instructions (and having the same problem), I've
tryed the following:

I've deleted all log files and run mrtg manually.  I've received the
common error messages for the first and second run, but for the third
and on, the error's are the same:

Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth0's log file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 1073786240.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for eth0
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth0's log file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 1056458622.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for eth0 was invalid as well
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'eth0'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 1
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth1's log file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 1073786240.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup could not read the primary log file for eth1
Rateup ERROR: /usr/bin/rateup found eth1's log file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 1056458622.Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup The backup log file for eth1 was invalid as well
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'eth1'

Please not from my previus message that the value 1073786240 is still present, in spite of the deletion of the log files.
Here is the first 3 lines of both log files (they are similar, with the same values):

1056458632 /var/www/default/administrativo/mrtg/eth0stats /proc/net/dev /var/www/default/administrativo/mrtg/eth0stats /proc/net/dev
1056458632 0 0 0 0
1056458100 0 0 0 0

The script (eth0stat) I'm using is:

#!/bin/awk -f
/eth0:/ { $0=substr($0,index($0,":")+1);
          print $1;print $9}

And my mrtg.cfg is:

WorkDir: /var/www/default/administrativo/mrtg
Target[eth0]: '/var/www/default/administrativo/mrtg/eth0stats /proc/net/dev'
Title[eth0]:"Tráfego na interface eth0"
PageTop[eth0]: <h1>Tráfego de dados na placa de rede eth0</h1>
MaxBytes[eth0]:7168
Options[eth0]: growright,bits,noinfo
#Unscaled[eth0]:ymwd

As you can notice, there's no entry for 1073786240 in the log files, and something is very weird to make the first
line of the log files like these.
I've previously tried to delete the first line on both log files and both log backup files, but with no change in the situation.

Does anybody have any idea?

Marcelo