[mrtg] Work-around to Windows/RRD problems

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 15:53:06 MEST 2003

I recently (while using an old version of MRTG) rebooted a switch, and got
big graph spikes following the byte counters resetting.
Wanting to clear the spikes, I found a copy of Killspike.pl, editted it as
required for windows and tested it. It works.
Then I tried it on my live server, and it failed.

I have tracked the problem down to the RRDtool RESTORE  command filling the
RRD file with junk.
This happens with RRD 1.0.38 & 1.0.40
I also noticed that the restore option will NOT overwrite an existing RRD.

My test system had an old RRD 1.0.33 copy, and that works fine.
It even overwrites existing data.

Copied a few files around, and my live system has no erroneous spikes left.
And now has the current release of MRTG, so hopefully no more spikes may
appear.

So far so good...

Then:
Trashed RRD files rang a bell in my mind.
Nearly a year ago I converted from LOG to RRD, and all my history got
trashed. Other users have experience the same fault. We put it down to
winDoze.
But now, I have tried converting a Log file with an OLD version of RRD, and
it works!!

Does any Windows programmer wish to sort this one out?????

Regards
Peter

"This email may contain confidential information which is intended for the
required recipient only.  If you are not the named recipient you should not
take any action in relation to this email, other than to notify us that you
have received it in error.  If this email contains attachments you should
ensure they are checked for viruses before opening them."