[mrtg] Re: Topo Nav Tools for Mrtg/RRD data - infraMon

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Tue Mar 4 16:21:02 MET 2003

Well the canarie link was cool thanks for that. And it is not often I've seen someone else put a color to the lines similar to my own stuff. Although I'd be curious to know whether the map is built dynamically or manually.

If nothing else an interesting post as I get pointers/discussions to other products.

>All in all, it's great that you want to do this, but it's
>important to acknowledge the fact that the Open Source NMS field
>is already crowded with good products, so you may not find a
>very big audience for yet-another-open-source-nms-platform.

I do not have any dillusions of taking over the nms world based on comments so far ;). But I have had some cool moments with some companies trying to sell us stuff. Visiting product engineers with wide eyes, and ultimately visits from vp/head of engineering types to see just what the heck is causing the buzz. Fun stuff. But so far I have not received a "big audience" response here yet.

So for the many times I have shown this tool set there is often a question at the end....how much? This is what leads me to this discussion.

>and do it better than my stuff. ;)

Ya, someone can build this stuff better than me no doubt from a programming viewpoint too. But many don't hit the mark from a network mgr, operations, minimal administration, and scaling aspect. I have always wrestled with the nms's (not even the shareware) to get what I or my management wants. And it always ends up to be several products. But for this job (started 4.5 years ago) I made an agreement coming in that I would run/admin/customize their platform but I wanted more freedom to pursue my/their vision of tools with my free time. So I kept making life more automated an efficient (like you) which gave me more time to develop. And so the developed tools are even more efficient with my time because they are low maintenance.

>I guess it comes down to the question of "Is your software
>clearly superior to the existing projects?" or "Does it fill
>an obvious vacancy?" If so, then it's probably worth
>the effort to get it out in the open.

And this is the tough call. Some aspects are clearly better but some will not be (some functions are always reinvented). And there are still functions and speed of navigation you just can't find. My stuff is also not necessarily too flashy (I need to take an art class <lol>). But to get a full web based functional system with low maintenance/good scalability/integration potential to other projects & tools is.......priceless.

thanks for your candid comments,

and I still encourage others to put in a voice either way,

cheers,
brad...