[mrtg] Re: MaxBytes question

Shahira Rasmy srasmy at nile-online.net
Wed Mar 5 17:23:33 MET 2003

 your log file is so logic don't panic.

> 1) there are two lines with the same timestamp.
this is because the first line in any log file expresses the value read from
the buffer counter as it is i.e. the accumulated value
the second line,gives the values resulted after averaging on the interval (5
min. in our case).

> 2) on one line, the 3rd and 4th column have dissappeared.
The 3rd and 4th columns expresses the max reading in a given interval,so it
has no sense to be found in the first line,as the first line is the actual
reading as mentioned.

> 3) the 3rd column is 3 times bigger than the 2nd column. It was just a
> download, so there is of course returntraffic going back
> (acknowledgements), but that should not be AFAIK about 1/3 of the
> download
depending on the previous points you can find the second column (expressing
the upload) is around 1/3 the reading of the first column (expressing the
download).Whereas you can't compare with the 3rd and the 4th columns as they
express the max as mentioned.

I hope this explanation may help u,
c u soon,