[mrtg] Re: Variables in cfg files

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu Mar 6 22:24:31 MET 2003

You can use the prepend and append functions to accomplish something like
this.

For example, I have this line in my global config which is included in every
individual device config:

NoSpaceChar: ~

I use the following at the top of a lot of my config files for individual
devices:

Target[$]: community at host~

Then I'll have a target like:

Target[PERC1]:
.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.4.1.1.5.2&.1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.4.1.1.5.3:

If the community name or the host name or address changes, I make the change
in one place. To make a copy of a config for a new device, I change this
line, maybe a directory line, and I'm done.

If you do this, be sure to have a line like this at the end when you use the
variable so it doesn't get added to other targets. This is especially
important if you are using include files:

Target[$]:

I actually use a few additional "variables" like this in many of my configs.
For example,

Title[$]: HOSTNAME
PageTop[^]: <H1>
PageTop[$]: HOSTNAME</H1>

Then for an individual target, I have something like:

Title[PERC1]: Disk Space Percent Used for M: and T: on
PageTop[PERC1]: Disk Space Percent Used for M: and T: on

Again, if you use this, clear out the variables when you done using them.

Target[^]:
Target[$]:
Title[^]:
Title[$]: