[mrtg] MRTG capabilities

Jim Breton jamesb-lists at alongtheway.com
Sun Mar 16 23:42:51 MET 2003

Here's an easy question.

I've been using RRDtool for a while to plot out some stats for various
things.. for example, I have one graph which maps the following (all on a
single graph):

Mails rejected by the SMTP server
Mails accepted by the server
Mails tagged by SpamAssassin

Another example:
CPU usage broken down by: user/sys/idle - again, all on a single graph.

I've been mulling over switching to MRTG for these sorts of things because
it seems like it would be less work for me to add/remove various things to
graph.. MRTG does all the HTML work and so on.

Anyway, besides all that, my question is: can MRTG plot more than 2 inputs
on a single graph?  The documentation states that it wants 2 sets from
whatever external data-gathering script you use; and all the examples I've
seen so far on the 'net only have 1 or 2 values plotted.

Would I be able to do the same with MRTG, or do I need to stick with
RRDtool for such cases?

Thanks.