[mrtg] Re: peaks

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Thu Mar 20 08:25:12 MET 2003

Shahira Rasmy said:
> Dear Friend,
>
> I want to add to your question another one concerning the same subject.
> That's is,the last 2 columns in the MRTG log file expresses the max
> values.But really i can't understand from where these values are got if
> the mrtg only averages every 5 minutes and so how it can obtain the max.
> values between these 5 minutes ??

MRTG has multiple levels of accuracy:

5 minute
30 minutes
2 hours
1 day

the docs explain this for the 'avgpeak' option(just an example):

avgpeak
    There are some ISPs who use the average Peak values to bill their
customers. Using this option MRTG displays these values for each graph.
The value is built by averaging the max 5 minute traffic avarage for
each 'step' shown in the graph. For the Weekly graph this means that it
builds the average of all 2 hour intervals 5 minute peak values.
(Confused? Thought so!)

nate