[mrtg] MRTG a Dynamic IP?

Evan Platt eplatt at 3wci.com
Mon Mar 24 18:59:02 MET 2003

I have a Dynamic aDSL connection at home, and I'm graphing it (just for my
own info) on mrtg. It's a Pac Bell 1.5/128 connection. What I think would
be an interesting implementation would be a few things (and yes, I know,
mrtg isn't designed for dynamic or aDSL) is: One, update your html file
with your current IP. That's a minor issue, however the main nice feature
would be for the aDSL connection. Right now, since the connection is
1.5/128, my download bar is WAY at the top, and my upload bar is WAY at the
bottom.

So, what I forsee is on the left (Bits Per Second), perhaps <green>1200.0K
/ <blue>128.0K, and then the graph obviously, if I had uploaded at 128K and
downloaded at 1.5 M, would look essentially like a T-1 with a upload and
download of 1.5 (i.e. both graphs would be peaked at the top). Obviously,
this would require the graph not to 'scale', so if for a month, I only
download at 368k, right now the graph would then peak at 368k, but in this
case, it would be 1/5 full (does this make sense??)

One of our engineers here mentioned RRD may do this - however I'm not
nearly technical enough to even install RRD (I handled MRTG with a bit of
help, and it was pretty easy). Is there a precompiled Perl or such for
Windows XP? Or is this not something RRD will do?

Thanks again. :)

Evan