[mrtg] Re: Graph Intervals

fluhmann at vvm.com fluhmann at vvm.com
Thu Mar 27 20:38:15 MET 2003

I'm using RRDTool with Win2K (it's an .exe file).  I downloaded
"rrdtool-1.0.40.x86distr.zip" from
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/download.html

Here is what I did:

1. Create a folder \rrdtool in your mrtg folder (mine is c:\mrtg\)
2. Unzip rrdtool-1.0.40.x86distr.zip into c:\mrtg\rrdtool
3. Create a folder c:\mrtg\rrdtool\bin
4. Copy (or move) the following files into the c:\mrtg\rrdtool\bin folder
from the folders in the \src folder:
  a. rrdtool.exe
  b. rrdcheckbounds.exe
  c. rrd_cgi.exe
  d. rrd_stats.exe
Add the following to your *.cfg file:

PathAdd: c:\mrtg\rrdtool\bin
LibAdd: c:\mrtg\rrdtool\perl-shared
logformat: rrdtool

Open a command prompt and change to the directory where rrds.ppd is
located (on mine it's in c:\mrtg\rrdtool\perl-shared) and type ppm install
rrds.ppd (or ppm install rrds.pm).  This will install the rrds.pm module.
RRDTool should convert your old log files on the first time it is run.
You may want to back up your log files also (although I'm pretty sure they
aren't deleted).  When we did it, some of our information was garbled and
we started over on our stats collection.  You might want to read the
documentation on how the create rrd files and create them to your
specifications (we added extra RRAs and extended how long information was
stored).  Once you understand it, it's somewhat simple.

Good Luck!
Jeremy Fluhmann