[mrtg] AIX specs

Michael Sanford msanford at ascensionhealth.org
Thu Mar 27 23:25:59 MET 2003

I know there isn't an exact science for sizing a server for MRTG, but
wondered if anyone can give some feedback on what they are using as it
pertains to the following.
We are moving MRTG from Win2k to Aix 4.3.  MRTG has outgrown the Win2k
box, and the AIX box we're moving MRTG won't be able to handle it
either.  We currently run approx. 500 config files every 5 minutes,
where one config file is retrieving one piece of data on one box (i.e.,
one config file retrieves BW util for all interfaces on routerA, one
retrieves crc errors for all interfaces on routerA, one retrieves BW
util for all interfaces on routerB, etc.)  Having not run MRTG in an AIX
environment, I would like to find out what others are using as a loose
guide.  If anyone running MRTG on AIX can share information on their
hardware specs, how their config files are set up to run and how the box
is holding up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance