[mrtg] Re: AIX specs

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Thu Mar 27 23:43:20 MET 2003

Without being able to appreciate precisely what spec of Win2k box you are
using, I would hazard a guess that you may be advised to review how you are
actually running MRTG.  500 objects should not be a problem in the
slightest for all but the smallest of hardware, I am running in excess of
1500 target retrievals on 500Mhz Win2k box without a problem.

Under normal circumstances, I have found that the greatest amount of time
is spent in waiting for an SNMP response from the target device.  The
actual server running MRTG is only really impacted when logging the
resultant data and generating the HTML files. You mention that you have 500
separate config files, which if I am not mistaken may be causing a
significant amount of overhead as there is file processing for as each file
is opened/closed.  (I am sure I remember a really good description of this
in the archives somewhere but cannot put my finger on it).

A couple of obvious(??) things that you may wish to consider: -

1.  Reduce the number of config files, to reduce the file processing
overhead.  Or at least place multiple targets in the same config file.
2.  Run multiple MRTG processes concurrently (each against a separate group
of config files).

In this manner I would hope you see a significant improvement in the amount
of polling that you can achieve in 5 minutes.

Hope this helps,

             "Michael Sanford"
             <msanford at ascensi
             onhealth.org>                                              To
             Sent by:
             mrtg-bounce at list.         <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
             ee.ethz.ch                                                 cc

             27/03/2003 22:25

                                                                   Subject
                                       [mrtg] AIX specs

I know there isn't an exact science for sizing a server for MRTG, but
wondered if anyone can give some feedback on what they are using as it
pertains to the following.
We are moving MRTG from Win2k to Aix 4.3.  MRTG has outgrown the Win2k
box, and the AIX box we're moving MRTG won't be able to handle it
either.  We currently run approx. 500 config files every 5 minutes,
where one config file is retrieving one piece of data on one box (i.e.,
one config file retrieves BW util for all interfaces on routerA, one
retrieves crc errors for all interfaces on routerA, one retrieves BW
util for all interfaces on routerB, etc.)  Having not run MRTG in an AIX
environment, I would like to find out what others are using as a loose
guide.  If anyone running MRTG on AIX can share information on their
hardware specs, how their config files are set up to run and how the box
is holding up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance