[mrtg] Re: thoughts on front-ends

Lightfoot.Michael Lightfoot.Michael at comcare.gov.au
Thu Mar 27 23:48:45 MET 2003

> I would like to know what people are using and/or recommend
> for a front-end (w/ rrdtool as a backend) which would address
> the following at minimum:
>
> -- fault-management (alerts, alarms...etc)

I am testing NMIS for routers and use Big Brother for general alerting
on system availability, software performance, Website access, oracle
database availability and tablespace management (until we get automagic
things set up in 9i) etc, etc.

BB has hundreds of "plugin" scripts available for doing everything
imaginable (see http://www.deadcat.net) from monitoring computer room
temperature to checking the weather!  BB also has a plugin to provide
graphical data (LARRD) based on RRDTool, although I don't use it.

> -- performance monitoring (throughput, utilization...etc)

I am using MRTG for lots of network things (routers and switches), MRTG
for squid statistics and mail stats and Orca for Solaris servers (mostly
system info.)

> I'm looking at NMIS (http://www.sins.com.au/nmis/) but just
> wondering what folks think of this front-end compared to
> others and their recommendation.

I'm impressed by the overall design of NMIS.  It's a bit of a struggle
to to get it configured and humming (lots of text files to edit,) but
overall appears to be a useful alternative to expensive commercial
systems.  It currently is restricted to monitoring Cisco devices (not a
problem here) but there has been some discussion on it's mailing list
about monitoring other SNMP devices.

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...

NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately.  Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.