[mrtg] Re: mrtg numbers differ from snmpget

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue May 6 13:30:51 MEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 05:32, Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
> Hello
> I'm observing some strangeness (to me) when trying to graph a number of
> system values acquired from a Solaris 8 box. I'm probably the one who's
> wrong, not mrtg, so I'm looking for help here. This is, I must confess, the
> first time I'm writing mrtg config statements myself.
[...]
> That's a difference of 5493 connections over a five-minute period, which is
> 18.31 connections per second. That falls within the range mrtg finds, but it
> claims there to be around a thousand as many connections. What's wrong here?
>

>From the manual:

kMG
Change the default multiplier prefixes (,k,M,G,T,P). In the tag
ShortLegend define only the basic units. Format: Comma seperated list of
prefixed. Two consecutive commas or a comma at start or end of the line
gives no prefix on this item. Note: If you do not want prefixes, then
leave this line blank.

Example: velocity in nm/s (nanometers per second) displayed in nm/h.

 ShortLegend[ezwf]: m/h
 kMG[ezwf]: n,u,m,,k,M,G,T,P
 options[ezwf]: perhour

Note the leading ',' in the list for a null prefix.  Now look at your config:
kMG[hrStorageUsedRAM]: k,M,G,T

You have overridden the default by shifting it by a prefix.

> I've got a number of other problems, some similar, with other parameters as
> well:
>
> * hrStorageUsed.101 and hrStorageUsed.102: mrtg reports zero where snmpget
> reports ~25000 and ~160000 respectively. These variables are type INTEGER,
> I've configured them as gauge, could that be a problem?

Shouldn't be, although you might want to tweak your maxbytes a little
higher (or set an absmax value a bit higher).

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy