[mrtg] Re: Monitoring MRTG to make sure it is running

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Tue May 6 15:16:21 MEST 2003

I had the same problem, my solution is:
- I changed my "mrtg-display.cgi" (own customize, deriverd from mrtg-rrd.cgi and 14all.cgi and some own code) to output either "RRDsOK" or "RRDsOLD" in a HTML-comment.
- use Nagios/check_http to look for the string "RRDsOK" in the HTML-code of several targets
This ensures that everything from the data-collection to the web-display is working 100% fine (but is quite complex, I know).. Maybe it gives you some hint where to go, there should be at least a "Last updated" on each MRTG-page which could be checked some way, but I doubt WhatsUp is able to handle complex checks (?)

Michael