[mrtg] Re: MRTG and Cisco AS5400: DS0s usage per single DS1?

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu May 8 16:06:17 MEST 2003

Depends on what kind of input errors you want to track.

On our box, the T1s show up as interfaces 66 and 67. These instances
don't show up in any of the tables you'd normally look at for IF errors.
Each DS0 does show up, in a couple different ways.

Interfaces 1 to 60 are ppp interfaces that can be tracked normally with
mrtg for octets in and out, errors in and out, etc.
61 and 62 are fast ethernet. 63 and 64 are high-speed serial. 65 is
null, 66 and 67 are T1s. No traffic is recorded on the T1s in the
standard interface OIDs.

The instances for the T1s don't appear in Cisco's local.linterfaces
table. All the DS0s show up, so you can get a lot of stats from this
table.

Each DS0 shows up a couple times in the interfaces table, and has octets
in and out and errors in and out. You could retrieve the stats for each
DS0 and add up all the numbers for each DS1.

Under the transmission branch, the isdn mib has some stats, like framing
errors on the D-channels, and the ds1 or rs232 mib might have something
you could use. There are statistics for a lot of different kinds of
errors in these tables. You just have to decide what is worthwhile
keeping track of.

You'll need a mib browser with the right mib files to explore these
areas.

Jerry