[mrtg] Re: rrd file size to store 5-min data for 1 yr

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Mon May 12 22:33:10 MEST 2003

Well, you could always RTFM (meant in the friendliest possible way).

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/manual/rrdresize.html

The basic command is

rrdtool resize filename rra-num GROW|SHRINK rows

To store 5 minute data for one year would require 366 * 24 * 12 = 105408
rows. I believe the "normal" rrd created by mrtg has 800 rows, so you
would want to grow by 104608. This will result in rrd files around 12
MB.

If you just want to create new rrd files of any arbitrary size, instead
of expanding existing ones, mrtg can do this for you automatically. See
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html#rrdrowcou
nt

How the graph would look depends on what front end you are using to
generate the graphs. Some front ends may allow you to change the number
of data points that are graphed interactively or through a cgi
parameter, or you could always modify the script to generate whatever
graphs you want.

Jerry