[mrtg] graphing behavior need help

Taylor Lewick Taylor.Lewick at us.fortis.com
Thu May 15 17:37:27 MEST 2003

I posted an earlier message on this subject, but I wanted to explain it in more detail.

I have been using mrtg for some time now and it works great.
recently, we notcied that our media servers (for veritas backups) were all reaching the saturation point on thier network interfaces.  All of the cards are 100 Mbit full duplex.  So we decided to upgrade these to Gigabit interfaces.  We picked one box to test on and the change was successful.  So I wanted to see if MRTG would detect the higher utilization.  I pumped data through the interface and saw that MRTG only graphed it at around 115 Mbits max.  Some people on the list told me I needed to tell it to use snmp v2 in order to get the correct values.

I made this change yesterday, but saw the interface hit 9 Gigabits a second, at a time when I don't think much went over this link.
Also, now, only on the switch that has the interface for the server we upgraded, I am noticing several of the graphs are exactly the same.  I know this isn't possible because I know what travels over the other servers' interfaces.

Has anyone seen anything like this.  The only confgiuration change I made in the mrtg config file was to change the AbsMax value and told it to poll with snmp v2 but only for that single interface, which is one of dozens on that switch.

Any help or insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Taylor

			Please Note
The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message,
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this
E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error,
please notify the sender. Thank you