[mrtg] Re: Incorrect Low value graph

Bob Love bob.lists at boblove.org
Sat Nov 1 23:31:26 MET 2003

> I am expecting much higher values on graphs.
> This Interface is supposed to flow at the rate of 1.5 Mb the graphs shows
> 300 kb.

> MaxBytes[CISCO]: 150000

150000 is too low for an interface with a T1 on it - remember you divide by
8 not 10.

T1 = 1544000 = MaxBytes 193000

It doesn't hurt to leave a little room in MaxBytes especially a link that
peaks frequently. I'd use 200000 for this if I were you.

MaxBytes is only used, to ignore "glitches" - i.e. make sure you don't get
any 8mbps glitches on a T1 due to an erroneous reading. You don't need to
(or shouldn't, in my experience) set it to *exactly* the maximum you
expect - a little headroom doesn't hurt.

Regards

Bob